History of the Navy Base at Schoodic
Acadia National Park aquired more than 2,000 acres on the Schoodic Peninsula by donation in 1929. At the time, John D. Rockefeller Jr. was working with the National Park Service to help construct the Park Loop Road on Mount Desert Island. The road was designed to hug the coastline and provide access to scenic vistas. However, a U.S. Naval Radio Station at Otter Point stood in the way of the road. At the urging of Rockefeller, the National Park Service worked with the U.S. Navy to move the radio station to Schoodic Point and constructed the five original buildings for the U.S. Navy, including Rockefeller Hall.
The new U.S. Naval Radio Station at Schoodic Point was commissioned in 1935 and gradually expanded to meet the demands of World War II and the Cold War. By the 1990s, the renamed Naval Security Group Activity Winter Harbor at Schoodic Point consisted of more than 35 buildings and 350 navy personnel. In 2002, the U.S. Navy closed the base and returned the land to Acadia National Park for use as a research and education center.